Sunday, March 12, 2006

About CVD

While working as a school nurse, I discovered how common colorblindness is and the challenges people face because of the disorder. When I couldn't find literature for children or teens on the condition, I wrote Seeing Color: It's My Rainbow, Too for children and Color is in the Eye of the Beholder for teens and adults.

Most people don't realize that 1:12 males and 1:200 females have some degree of color vision deficiency (CVD) or colorblindness. Colorblind is probably not a good term because even those with severe CVD can usually see blue and yellow. See: http://www.cvdbooks.com/ for further information.

As I mention in Color is in the Eye of the Beholder, a website exists for the 1:33,000 people who have acromatopsia. People who have this genetic condition generally see the world in black and white, plus they suffer from other eye disorders. However, no website exists for the 1:12 males and 1:200 females in most countries of the world who have CVD.

This is a blog for those people with CVD to share frustrations and helpful tips about everyday living. It is also a blog for people to make recommendations to professionals, in particular teachers to establish principles regarding color vision education for teachers in training. Because different policies lead to a lack of uniformity in hiring with the same occupation, an important function of this blog is for standardization in occupations that that require accurant color vision. It's possible, in some occupations, that requirements for typical color vision in some jobs are simply outdated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Evans said...

Hi-

The blog space looks good! I'm commenting on your blog right now to check to make sure you get it by email.

Also, I was able to get to your site using "www" so I'm not sure it matters either way.

ox

7:58 PM  
Blogger ks said...

My son is color deficient and is currently in Nursing School. I see that many hospitals are now including a test for color blindness in their pre-employment physicals and it concerns me that he may experience an inablity to get a nursing job when he graduates.....do you know anything about this? I have been a nurse for over 35 years and was never checked for this. thanks.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi KS,
I hope I'm not too late to respond. I received your message on regulary (please exuce my spelling; I have been diagnosed with Alzheimer disease).
I sympathzise with your son. I can see some instances where good colol vision would make a difference (in telling the color of medicines), but in general, I wouldnt think it would make any difference.

8:52 PM  
Blogger shashank said...

Here is a link to more information about the genetics of Color Vision Deficiency that was prepared by our genetic counselor and which has links to some useful resource for those dealing with this condition: http://www.accessdna.com/condition/Color_Vision_Deficiency/98. There is also a number listed for anyone who wants to speak to a genetic counselor by phone. I hope it helps. Thanks, AccessDNA

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home